Saturday, December 29, 2012

Can A Machine Make Art?

Here is something very unusual. Here is a one-of-a-kind bronze sculpture of a bird that was created by my casting machine the last time I cast. Sometimes when casting, molten bronze flies out of the crucible and lands behind the flask when the casting machine spins. This usually produces nothing but this time I noticed the interesting shape. To me I see a crane type bird standing behind an egg or a sunrise. A tree is seen at the back of the bird. I find it amazing the positioning of the legs, body, neck and head. Someone I showed it to thought it was a cat. I guess what I think is a tree is the cat's head and the tail is the bird's neck. To me it is a bird. Stands about 2" tall.

So I ask the question, can a machine make art? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment